Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What! You Speak English?

I got to speak in English!!!  Also, Happy Father’s day or at least for Brasil!!
Anyway, back to why I spoke English. Two Europeans came traveling through (well, came to see a member they know in our ward).  And it made the day even better!!!  Everyone was going up to them after Sacrament Meeting to meet them and then their friend Eder was like, “Oh, they don’t speak Portuguese.” So, everyone was asking me how to say welcome and everything else At first I didn’t believe it, but then they started talking with their super cool accents and I was like, “Yep, you’re from Europe!  The girl was from The Netherlands and the guy was from London, but they all met in Dubai a few years ago.  Anyway, I got to translate in the next two classes and they were like, “Woah! How long have you been here? You understand so much!” And I was like, “Well, I’ve been in Fortaleza for 5 months today, but I’ve been in Brasil for 6 months.” and then I was like, “Woah, I hit my 6 month mark!!!”  They were super cool and both have been traveling these past couple months and are headed home soon, but just wanted to meet up with Eder before they went home.  It was so nice/difficult to speak in English, but I liked it. I got to bear my testimony to them about the gospel and why I’m serving and even though it’s been hard at times I know that in the end its worth it because bringing others unto Christ and helping them feel the love that Heavenly Father has for them and the joy that they can have in their lives is totally worth it.
Which also made me think about how last year at this time I was with my family gathered around the TV watching Michael Phelps go at it again one last time to break records and be awesome; and how a year from now I’ll be headed home. It’s crazy how fast time can fly, but that’s not what I want to talk about.  I want to talk about how we all have those different struggles and moments when we just don’t think we’ll make it or just want to throw in the towel because it doesn’t seem worth it; like Olympians they all have dedicated their lives to the sports that they play and it’s so hard to become that great and to keep working though the tough times, but they don’t quit. They keep going because they have their eyes set on the future and the bigger picture.  I think a lot of times we focus on the here and now, but that’s when we need to take a step back and look at the big picture; what we’re working for and to look back and see how far we’ve come.  I love love love the quote from Elder Holland that says, “Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come.”  I love this quote. There is so much hope and happiness ahead for all of us if we just trust in the lord and lean on him and he will help us through. That doesn’t mean that it won’t be hard. It will be, but though that pain and suffering we gain so much more appreciation for the final success!! Which also makes me think of Moroni 7:33. He has asked us to do many things, but if we trust in him and have faith he will help us through.  We are never alone he loves us and wants us all to be happy.
I got to teach the plan of salvation this week which is my favorite lesson, but also the most difficult for me to teach because I’m still learning Portuguese. I sometimes get lost in my words, but I still got to bare my testimony at the end that I know it to be true and that we all can have never ending happiness with our families and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ forever as we follow their teachings and choose the right!! After all, it’s called also the plan of salvation!!!  I think it’s in Mosiah 2 at the end where it talks about how much happiness we will have here after and how wonderful that will be!!  I love it soo much and I know it to be true!!
Anyway, that’s all the time I have this week, but I love you guys sooo much and miss you all!!! Thanks for the emails!!! Have an amazing week!!!
Sister Neuberger

No comments:

Post a Comment